Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I think hair on a man is attractive. as in, it's attractive.

Wow a lot to update since last post

Left you all off in Savannah, GA (well, just outside, actually called "port wentworth"). After about an hour, the lady (edna) who dropped me off there before picked me up again! We went up to Hardeeville, SC to a rest area she thought I might have better luck at. Sure enough, I walked about 20 feet away from the car before I was asked where I was headed. "North," i replied, after they saw my "new york" sign, they told me to hop in the back of their pick up truck.

Commence frozen balls. This was the coldest experience I've ever had. I had a crotch hole that kept my balls a frigid blueish (okay I lied about the color). I put on more jackets and socks and got into my sleeping bag, but was still frozen. When I got out in Florence, SC, my feet were totally numb. The people who were driving were stopping off for some grub, and myself, penniless, just sat around inside the truck stop. After about an hour i went to check on them (as i had been regularly) and they were gone! So I was stranded (well a hitchhiker is perpetually stranded, but this one I felt betrayed a little. I watched "The fast and the dead" in their little tv room-thing until i fooled myself into thinking I was tired, then walked across the street to catch some z's next to the woods.

This morning I got up with the sun with a terrible headache and some coldness, and headed off for the ramp - 2 hours later I was still there. Walked back up to the petro to use the baƱo, and upon getting back to the ramp was QUICKLY picked up by a trucker named robert.

This guy was a total creep from knoxville and for awhile I thought he was going to try to have "his way" with me. He was very flamboyant, but in a creepy way. He asked me about my peircings and talked about how tongue peircings make for "good head" (eesh). Then later, on the topic of tattoos, my chest came up. He asked if I had a hairy chest and I said "not really," to which he replied, "I think hair on a man is attractive. as in, It's attractive." Weird. So i'm not his type, cool, but still he'd get my attention by touching my thigh and saying weird things. Whatever. He was going to pull off in dortches, NC, but decided to take me up a couple more exits to what looked like a busier interchange.

New plan - talked to Mccains friends from asheville who said they might be able to get me in richmond on the way up to NY tomorrow, then called suntrust and saw that there are branches in Richmond, then remembered my good ass friends (ass for emphasis - they are not "ass friends") jeremy and pablo, who live in RVA - all signs pointed there, and I felt good - I haven't eaten since some pretzels in Georgia, midday yesterday, so the prospect of getting some ducketts and eating at harrison st. cafe seemed like the polar opposite of where I was the night before.

The reality was that I was still in the middle of nowhere (Halifax, NC) in the rain. Three hours went by, soaked and frozen, with a popped bubble of RVA hope fading with little hope of getting anywhere, much less anywhere dry. I called pablo to say hey and to expect me later or tomorrow and I let him in on the situation and he even offered to pick me up if shit stayed bad. What a guy - Walking back to the gas station to sit down and warm up for a sec, a guy in a uhaul asked me where I was going.

Fast forward, I'm in the back of his unlit uhaul with his 16- and 18- year old kids (who were nice as fuck, btw) after numerous reassurances that i didn't have drugs or weapons (i even gave him my knife to hold, because, well, I needed to get out of there). They were super interested in punk and moving around a lot so I told them about Richmond, Best friends day, the republicorpse tour, alex fromdeland teaching everyone to pee standing up in Raleigh, etc, until in kind of a cheesy way I realized they didn't really get it and that I probably sounded like some New Orleans Bro talking about mardi gras or something but in this case, about acting stupid, activism and funny shows and dumpstering. Cheesiliy as it sounded, It made me so thankful for punk and the sense of community and optimism I have. Without it, I'd've probably become something really abhorrent.

Right now i'm on the outskirts of RVA - pablo is on his way to come get me.

I'm taking pics too, i'll put them up when I get somewhere with a card reader..

////////Miss U Orlandbro
//////Miss U Friends
/////H8 U 'truck towns'

741 Miles In
334 Miles To Go

3 comments:

Dylan Eitharong said...

Miss Jeremy and Pablo, those guys were great.
As far as Robert, I laughed really hard upon reading that. Thank goodness for a lack of bodily hair, i guess.

Anonymous said...

hey that's awesome! i'm glad you didn't get touched any more by the creepy driver. don't freeze to death. okay, nice HRO reference there at the end.

miss u raow
h8 u creepy driver
<3 u snow

jon beard said...

thank the godbro/lordbro you made it so far. it'll be sweet to see the pix. did you hire the cobrasnake? virginia is the shit. lewd duck on the rest of the way